Wednesday 4 July 2007

Traveling through music...

Today, I felt like traveling, so of course I went to my favourite place, National Geographic website. I traveled everywhere until I arrived at the place where music ruled, the section of the website showcasing music from all over the world. The following are the ones that got me dreaming, singing, and in some parts, even fingertapping :)

Dazibao – “Anneaux de novembre”

This seems to be my favourite song from this Belgian band that I recently discovered in the Musical pages of national geographic. This particular song is in my opinion the most touching of the whole album, even though I did not get to listen to the whole song since it was only a sample. However, the music is quite transcendent, enforcing a sharp image of afternoon strolls in Paris, autumn weather, cold, damp air with a faint warmth from the last rays of the pink-colored sun. Simply wonderful…

Zap Mama – Ancestry in Progress

Another Belgian artist, a female singer with a very interesting, quirky, emotion-evoking voice, almost whiny at times, but very pleasant all in all. The genre of the music is a fusion of jazz, house, ambience, almost everything, even tones of African. I liked the album sample very much and now I will definitely try my best to download it illegally lol. It is definitely one of the best female vocalists I have heard lately. Very innovative and original. Give the album a try for quirky, interesting, fun and exhilarating music.

Fapy Lafertin – Fine and Dandy

Lafertin seems to be a world authority on jazz and quite rightly so because his album is quite spectacular. In my opinion, Lafertin in this album shows exactly why jazz is loved and why it is so much fun. Wonderful music. Ah, for those wondering, the genre that he normally plays is manouche jazz and Roma or Gypsy music.

George Theodorakis – Nothing in Mind

This artist comes from Greece (as you can judge from the name) and surprisingly is one of my favourite finds today. The genre is world fusion and the music is so pleasant, light and mysterious at the same time. I definitely recommend it.

Tango Five – Amando a Buenos Aires

This is an exquisite compilation of beautifully played cellos, accordion, violins and everything that makes Argentinian tango so enchanting. I love tango…I can just imagine myself swirling to the sounds of this...(and here I go dreaming).

No comments: